I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Saturday, August 24, 2013

"Lived After the Manner of Happiness"

One of my all-time favorite verses of scripture comes from 2 Nephi 5:27 of the Book of Mormon: "And it came to pass that we lived after the manner of happiness." I've pondered greatly about what that means, and how one can live after the manner of happiness. 
First of all I'm certain that they maintained a Positive Mental Attitude, and definitely had an Attitude of Gratitude, but what else contributed to their happiness? Perhaps some background would help. At this time in Nephite history, they had just landed on the American Continent, the Land of Promise, and started to settle in. Then the rebellious brothers, Laman and Lemuel, decided they wanted to take control by killing Nephi, so Nephi was warned in a dream to take his family and those faithful to the Lord, and flee into the wilderness. 
Soon they found a new place and settled in. So, they were happy because they had to rebuild their homes and lives after fleeing their murderous bothers? Perhaps in one way. But if you study the verses leading up to verse 27 you'll find a few triggers that helped them live in happiness despite their circumstances.

  1. They followed the spirit (vs. 5)
  2. They moved their families from wickedness (vs. 6-7)
  3. They kept the commandments "in all things" (vs. 10; cross reference to Alma 41:10, "Wickedness never was happiness" ) 
  4. They worked hard and were industrious in doing good things and providing for their families (vs. 11, 15-17)
  5. They focused their lives on the temple (vs. 16)
  6. They chose to follow their church leaders, who pointed them to Christ (vs. 26)
Think about this in your own life. Are you happy? Do you do the basic things that bring happiness? Perhaps you're doing all these things, but are somehow just 'going through the motions', and your efforts lack faith and hope? It's kind of like trying to fly an airplane without wings. It's time to add wings to your vessel by 'doing all that you do in the name of [Jesus](Moses 5:8).  By so doing, we consecrate our actions, and thus our very lives, to the source of all true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment