I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I Have Learned

Here are a few things that I have learned recently, and am still learning. Saying I have learned it doesn't necessarily mean I live it, that's a lifelong process. But for whatever it's worth, I have learned:
  • That all can change if they humble themselves and apply the transforming power of Grace.
  • That the best people have a heightened awareness of what little of the worst is still in them.
  • That the future is as bright as our faith.
  • That optimism and faith are eternal helpmeets. Hope is equally their offspring and their forbear.
  • That an helpmeet (the scriptural term Adam was given for a spouse), is one who helps you meet (meaning come to) God.
  • That children are an investment. The more time you invest, the more return you get.
  • That children do better when parents actually parent.
  • That work is a blessing.
  • That the reason we are obedient is just as important as our obedience. And that We are blessed more through obeying because of love and honor to God, than through blind obedience. More if we pay tithing with full purpose of heart, than grudgingly. More if we keep the word of Wisdom so we can be worthy of, and able to hear the spirit, than if we keep it solely for health reasons. 
  • That God loves us, regardless of our weaknesses and sins.
  • That to be temporally self-reliant means you depend on yourself, whereas being spiritually self-reliant means you depend on God.
  • That if you truly love someone, you have to do the hard things that will help them grow and learn. Think of God's purposes of chastising his children. The method is love, the purpose is change.
  • That ultimately, modesty is more about honoring God than safety. And that's true for the other commandments too.
  • That a bishop's job isn't to hand out advice and be the all-knowing source of answers, but to turn them to the Savior for counsel, advice and direction.
  • That when we're told we won't be given anything we can't handle, the "we" referred to is God and us. We're often given things we can't do alone. That's why we have Grace.
  • That none of us will ever be truly worthy of the blessings Heavenly Father gives us, but He loves us anyway and gives them to show His love.

No comments:

Post a Comment