I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

He is Merciful unto our Weakness

Weakness. Sin. Habit. Laziness. We've all got them. We try to hide them. When really, we need to bring them to Jesus.
Jesus Christ understands our weakness. He's felt them, suffered through them, suffered for them, and overcome them. Only He can succor and strengthen us (D&C62:1) with His Grace, so that our weaknesses become strengths.
Some of our weaknesses were given to us by Him (Ether 12:27). Others come from our choices and lifestyle. If we are brought to an awareness of our weaknesses, then instead of giving up because of the perceived distance we must still go, we should rejoice, knowing that Christ is showing us our weaknesses to help us change (Jacob 4:7, Ether 12:27, D&C 66:3)
All we need do is to come to Him in humility (Ether 12:27), with broken heart and contrite spirit. We have to recognize that we can't do it alone, and plead for His grace to sustain and empower us and Change us.
And through His promise of His Grace, we can stand strong and fear not (D&C 38:14-15), knowing that we can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth us. (Philippians 4:13)
We are told that through the grace of Christ, our weak things may become strengths (Ether 12:27). And that we are blessed with the power of God as we recognize our strengths and humble ourselves. So what can these weaknesses become? What strengths can result from humbling yourself and turning your weaknesses over to the Savior? What gifts of the Spirit might aid you in change?
President George Q. Cannon exhorted the saints: “If any of us are imperfect, it is our duty to pray for the gift that would make us perfect. If I am an angry man, it is my duty to pray for charity, which suffereth long and is kind. So with all the gifts of the Gospel, they are intended for this purpose.” (in Ashton, Measure of our Hearts, 24-25)

Examples of those with weaknesses:
•(2 Corinthians 12:7-10) Paul prays for a thorn to be removed three times, saying Satan gave him the thorn. But Christ teaches him that through his weakness the power of Christ can be manifest and rest upon him.
•Moses was slow of speech
•Enoch was slow of speech
•Joseph Smith was an unlearned man:

Like all people, Joseph Smith faced the challenges of mortality. Because of his weaknesses, he questioned his personal worthiness before the Lord. Other prophets expressed similar concerns about their personal worthiness and their weaknesses (for example, see 2 Nephi 4:17–19; Moses 6:31). Elder Neal A. Maxwell, a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, explained: “Just as God cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance (D&C 1:31), as we become more like Him, neither can we. The best people have a heightened awareness of what little of the worst is still in them!” (Notwithstanding My Weakness, 16–17). (The Pearl of Great Price Student Manual, Joseph Smith–History)
“Perhaps there are some who have reconciled themselves to a speckled life, who have found it easier to accept a spiritual status quo than exert the required effort to make the whole of their lives bright. No doubt there are some who believe they possess irrevocable weaknesses and shortcomings—spiritual defects that are incurable, tempers that are insurmountable, ill feelings that are irrepressible, or a lack of faith that is unconquerable. Many such good souls may have plateaued out spiritually. “It is my nature,” they say. But cannot God, creator of all, fashion, shape, add to, modify and help overcome any weakness of any faithful, humble person?” (Elder Callister, Infinite Atonement, 272
I guess the bottom line is, we all have weaknesses and faults. But we should rejoice in them, for through humbling ourselves and turning to Christ, we can transform our lives till we become like He is, so that when He appears we shall be like Him (Moroni 7:48).

No comments:

Post a Comment