I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Christ's Grace

                I believe all my life I’ve only viewed Grace as that eternal balancer of the scales. When the final judgement day comes, and after I’ve done all I can do, Grace will make up for my shortcomings and bridge the gap between my performance and justice. That has been my take of 2 Nephi 25:23 (Saved by grace after all we can do). I believe that many good, strong members believe the same thing. And, it’s true. The scriptures say it is. But that’s not the whole story.
                In the Bible Dictionary, under the heading of Grace, it talks about the kind of grace we just talked about, but it also speaks of grace as an enabling power that gives the faithful and repentant soul strength and assistance to do good works that we otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to our own means. With this usage of the word, Christ doesn’t just step in after we’ve done all we can do, He walks alongside us. He doesn’t just make up the difference, He is the difference. 
                In Alma 7 we read that Christ took upon him our infirmities, pains, afflictions and temptations. Isaiah said He would bear our griefs and carry our sorrows. Why did He do all this? Wasn’t the atonement just about overcoming death and sin?
                Jesus Christ suffered all these things and more, so that he would know how to succor His people. He suffered everything possible for man to suffer, so no one would ever be able to say, “But Jesus, you just don’t know how I feel.” And instead, He says to us, “I know how you feel.”
                The Savior’s grace enables us to overcome any hardship, any trial, any pain or sorrow. He’s not just there to grant us forgiveness. He’s also there to lift our heart and strengthen our weaknesses. He’s there so we don’t have to do it alone.
                This is a lesson I’m still working on learning. On my mission, I struggled with the balance between grace and justice. I foolishly thought I could do it all myself, and would only need the Savior’s grace a little at the end (more like a LOT at the end). I felt like I was working hard, and struggling to do what’s right, but never getting anywhere.
                Then one night I had a dream. In it I found myself in a place I assumed was the Spirit World. I knew there was a place where Christ was, but didn’t feel comfortable going there. Instead I cleaned the walls of a building, scrubbing them with a push broom. After a time of hard work, I’d return to the place where Christ was, only to return to my work without having seen the Savior.
                This happened a number of times, and I came to understand that the building was a symbol of my “mansion in heaven” that Christ spoke of when leaving his apostles in Jerusalem. When I woke and wrote down my dream and shared it with my companion, I interpreted it as meaning I had a lot of work to do to be worthy to enter Christ’s presence.
                While this dream has been a special experience for me, it has also hung over my head for many years, as I think of all I need to change so I can feel comfortable in Christ’s presence. What I am only now beginning to realize, is that Christ wasn’t sitting there, sending me away to work on my mansion. Christ told his apostles that He would go to prepare a place for them. He would do it.
                I pridefully thought it was up to me, and foolishly believed I could do it on my own. Little did I realize, that we can’t become like the Savior unless we walk side-by-side with Him. We have to allow him to take His half of the yoke, we can’t do it alone.
                Instead of walking back to my work in shame, all I had to do was ask Him to help. .  Instead of scrubbing endlessly with a push broom, Christ could have come with his pressure-washer and done for me what I couldn’t do for myself.
                You see, grace doesn’t just fill the gap between us and perfection. Grace fills us. It doesn’t just become active after all we can do, it helps us before, during and after all we can do. If we read the verse right, it says: "We (meaning you and I) are saved by grace after (meaning before, during and after) all we (meaning us and Jesus Christ) can do." (2 Nephi 25:23, changes suggested by Brad Wilcox in his book, Continuous Atonement)
           (more about this in a later post)

No comments:

Post a Comment