I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

PMA -- Positive Mental Attitude

I love the lessons we can learn from the sons of Lehi with regards to the difference our attitude makes. Think about it, Nephi and Laman and Lemeul all experienced the same things. They had left all their belongings and home, even lost their riches in trade for the brass plates, were traveling in the desert to a place their father had seen in vision. How did they react?

Laman and Lemuel: (1 Nephi 17:20-21)

20  And thou art like unto our father, led away by the foolish imaginations of his heart; yea, he hath led us out of the land of Jerusalem, and we have wandered in the wilderness for these many years; and our women have toiled, being big with child; and they have borne children in the wilderness and suffered all things, save it were death; and it would have been better that they had died before they came out of Jerusalem than to have suffered these afflictions.
21  Behold, these many years we have suffered in the wilderness, which time we might have enjoyed our possessions and the land of our inheritance; yea, and we might have been happy.

Pretty sad overview of their circumstances, right? That last part really hits me, "and we might have been happy." Meaning that they might have been happy if their life were easy and they had all their junk back.

What about Nephi? How did he view things? (1 Nephi 17:1-3)
1  AND it came to pass that we did again take our journey in the wilderness; and we did travel nearly eastward from that time forth.  And we did travel and wade through much affliction in the wilderness; and our women did bear children in the wilderness.
2  And so great were the blessings of the Lord upon us, that while we did live upon raw meat in the wilderness, our women did give plenty of suck for their children, and were strong, yea, even like unto the men; and they began to bear their journeyings without murmurings.
3  And thus we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it so be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he doth nourish them, and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; wherefore, he did provide means for us while we did sojourn in the wilderness.

What a difference! Nephi saw the same tribulations, but chose to focus on how the Lord blessed them to meet each challenge. Who do you think was more happy? Even though they experienced the exact same things, Nephi CHOSE to focus on their blessings, and to be happy. 
Are you choosing to be happy today?

No comments:

Post a Comment