I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Do I have the Faith to Believe God's Word?


            A few years ago I was hiking with my father to the top of a 14,000 foot peak in Colorado and happened to be in the right place at the right time to help in the rescue of a man who had slid down an ice field too fast and tumbled head over heels into a rock field. The circumstances where such that we had to remain later than we planned on the side of the mountain, and by the time the helicopter had taken the man away, it was well into the afternoon. Many of you know that late afternoon is when storms come almost daily when you reach that elevation. We hurried down from the peak as massive black clouds rolled into view. The rain started, then turned to hail. When the lightning started, we still needed to cross a valley to reach the safety of shelter, but in order to do so, we would be the tallest things in the valley, thus perfect lightning rods.
            We said a prayer and felt a peaceful assurance that God would protect us as we crossed the valley, and immediately we set out walking across, with lightning striking on either side of us.
            That day I learned that I had the faith to walk through the midst of a lightning storm. But more than that, I learned that I had faith to believe God’s word.
            The scriptures tell us that God cannot lie, that He is a being of truth and light. Do we have the faith to really believe that?

Every week in church we have the opportunity to hear from some great speakers and teachers (in the LDS church, the talks--or sermons, are given by the members) who accepted a call to teach even though they probably didn’t feel comfortable doing so. They might have worried that they’d forget what to say, or say something dumb. But:
·         Do I believe that if I am given an opportunity to speak or teach a lesson, that God will give me words to speak?
o   God has promised us that if we treasure up in our minds the words of life, it will be given to us what we should say in the very moment that we need it. Do we believe it?
§  Do I exercise my faith by treasuring up in my mind Christ’s words? Do I study the scriptures daily?
§  Do I exercise my faith by accepting and seeking out opportunities to teach God’s word and share my testimony?

In the LDS Church, all positions of leadership are given by inspiration from God. No previous experience or schooling qualifies one for service. We call these positions a calling, meaning we are called of God to serve. I recently received a new calling that has stretched me in ways I didn’t know I could be stretched. When accepting this calling, I had to ask myself:
·         Do I believe God can make me equal to any task?
o   Nephi testified that the Lord giveth no commandments to the children of men, save he prepare a way for them to accomplish that which he commanded them.
§  Do I take on assignments with zeal and enthusiasm, knowing that the Lord will open the way for me to accomplish the task?
§  Do I exercise my faith by asking the Lord’s help, or do I pridefully think I can do it on my own.
·         This one is big for me. My pride says I can do it by myself. But my heart knows I can’t.

I’m probably alone in this next example. I’m sure no one else has had a hectic and stressful day, right? Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and like my day is out of control.
·         Do I believe I can feel peace on a hectic and stressfull day?
o   “Peace I give unto you.” The Lord said. “Not as the world giveth.”
o   I love the stories of the Lord calming the storm and helping Peter to walk on water. For me, I’ve learned that sometimes the Lord calms the storm, sometimes the sailor.
§  Do I exercise my faith by asking God to fill my heart with peace, or do I pridefully try to do it on my own.
·         Honestly, there have been a few times where I’ve prayed for and been filled with peace on a stressful day. But there have been many more days where I’ve tried to deal with it on my own.

What about when I make mistakes. When I choose the way of the world instead of God’s way:
·         Do I believe that Jesus Christ can wash away all my sins?
o   Jesus has said that though our sins be as scarlet, they may be as wool.
§  Do I exercise faith by praying for forgiveness, speaking to my bishop if need be, and giving my burden to the Lord?
·         Or do I try to do it by myself, perhaps thinking, “I made this mess, I’ll fix it.”
o   Can I just kindly say, “you can’t.” You, nor I, nor anyone else can truly repent and receive forgiveness for our sins without  Jesus Christ. It can’t be done. He is the only way.
o   But though I know that myself, I still don’t turn to the Savior as often as I should.

·         Do I believe I have the strength to overcome temptation?
o   “God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be btempted above that ye are able; but will with the ctemptation also make a way to descape, that ye may be able to ebear it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13)
§  Do I exercise my faith by not putting myself in a position where I know I’ll be tempted?
§  Do I exercise my faith when faced with a temptation by looking for the way out that God has promised us?

All of those things are great, of course they can only be done through the atonement of Jesus Christ. But what about when we are facing difficult decisions in our life?
·         Do I believe that the Spirit can guide me with important decisions in my life?
o   The scriptures say to “Trust in the LORD with all thine bheart; and lean not unto thine cown dunderstanding. In all thy ways aacknowledge him, and he shall bdirect thy cpaths.” (Proverbs 3:5-6)
§  Do I exercise my faith by obeying the spirit with exactness? Do I exercise my faith by turning to him often in prayer? Do I acknowledge him in all things?

And what about all the problems with the economic issues we’re facing.
·         Do I believe that God will bless me and my family so that we may provide for our needs?
o   How many times in the Book of Mormon did the Lord say: This is a land of promise, if you keep my commandments you shall prosper in the land.
§  Do I exercise my faith by living worthy of the promise?
§  Do I exercise my faith by seeking earnestly for employment and doing my best at my job?
§  Do I exercise my faith by living thrifty and staying out of debt?

I’d like to finish with one that I believe many of us are facing. We try to live by faith, but still, somehow fear worms its way into our lives.
·         Do I live without fear?
o   Take no thought, the morrow will take care of itself.
o   Perfect love casteth out all fear.
o   Doubt not, but be believing
o   Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD
§  Do I exercise my faith by trusting God and putting the future in His hands?
§  Do I exercise faith in the plan of salvation, knowing that all things shall be for our good and that this life isn’t the end.
§  Do I cast my burden of fear on the Lord?
Brothers and sisters, what is your burden? What pulls you down, and causes hardship in your life? What keeps you from the Savior. I testify that if you turn to him, and cast your burden at his feet, that He will take your burden that you may be light.
We've got the promises of the Lord. If we live worthily, we have the power to call down the powers of heaven in our behalf, to fulfill the promises of the Lord. I truly believe He wants to bless us more than we want to be blessed.
Now:
·         Just because we have faith, does that mean that we’ll never suffer?
o   Joseph Smith himself was told that his sufferings would give him experience and be for his good. And if he endured it well, he would be exalted.
o   The purpose of faith isn’t to relieve all discomfort. We can’t expect our faith to rid our lives of all trials and troubles.
§  We can expect our faith to give us insight and hope. To keep us focused on our mission in life. And to turn us to the Savior.
§  Our faith can help us to learn from our experiences, to even thank our Heavenly Father for our trials, knowing that they’ll make us better people.
I love faith. Faith enables hope and brings peace in a troubled world. It gives me direction. Christ truly said: aIf ye have faith ye can do all things which are expedient unto me.” And Paul, in Phillipians said: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” It is my hope that we all might turn to Him more often each day.
I believe Jesus Christ. I believe that all things are possible through Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment