I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS, or Mormon). I don’t know everything, I’m not perfect, but I believe that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, I can become so-though if I know me, and I sort of do, it will take quite a while. Until then, I think, I pray and I act in faith.

I don’t consider myself a scriptorian in any way. I just try to understand them myself, and seek the Spirit’s guidance. I’m not afraid to say, “I don’t know.” But I know that all knowledge comes from God, and He himself said that if we ask it shall be given us. Therefore, I try to learn all I can through the spirit.

Please feel free to comment on any of the posts, but please remember to use courtesy and respect, as should all who profess Jesus Christ as their Savior. If you’d like to see a topic discussed here, please include it in your comments and I’ll see what I can learn about it.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Where did all our faith and conviction go?

Whatever happened to the faith and conviction of saints of old. Tonight in our family scripture study, we were reading about Nephi's faithful courage to 'go and do.' We look back on the examples of the early saints of this dispensation and see much the same attitude. When the Lord called the saints to settle in the mountains in the west, did they back out of the call, claiming ailments and weakness. "Sorry Lord, my toe hurts so I better not go." or "Sorry Lord, it doesn't fit into my schedule."
No! They girded their loins, stood up tall and marched forth (or shuffled if they had to). Many said in their hearts: "I'd rather die on my way to zion, than turn away from the Lord's call."
Where did that conviction, that determination and faith go? Many literally walked themselves to death. Yet how many of us won't teach a primary class if we have a headache. I hear of people not staying through all 3 hours of church because the seats aren't comfortable enough for their backs. Really? Do you want to compare your seats with what the pioneers sat in? Have you sat in the old Tabernacle?
I may be just rambling about something I know nothing about. I'm not old. I'm healthy. But I pray that if I ever get old, or have similar ailments, that I will have the faith to stand and say, "I will go and do what the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he should prepare a way for them that they might accomplish the thing which he hath commanded."
He whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies. It may not be easy. It may be downright hard. But, the call came from the Lord, and the Lord blesses all who do His will.
For many are called, but few are chosen. Why are they not chosen? They haven't learned that in order to be chosen, you have to choose to follow Christ. When we choose to obey the call, we are chosen to receive blessings beyond measure.
I choose to have faith, and to obey.

No comments:

Post a Comment